Sunday, January 20, 2008

Products online now!!!

I've now got some products online. Admittedly this is not a huge product line, but it's a start, and hopefully it will motivate me to start doing more to get stuff online.

I put my 5 photo holder online, on e-Bay, but online nonetheless.

You can see it here! 5 Photo holder

I would really appreciate anyone who would look at it. This really is a great product, and I use multiple copies of this product, I think it is absolutely great! I can hang tons of photos on the wall without having to buy frames or stick the photos directly on the wall like I did last year.

I have developed a website that I hope to have up and running by the end of the month.

Well, that's enough of that.

I'm really sorry I haven't been posting lately. I have decided that from now on, this blog will be more dedicated to business in general, instead of just business in dorm rooms. I think this is a better, broader topic, and brings me out of my myopic focus. I simply didn't have much to post blogs about, since I haven't been developing my business lately. I hope this will change.

I've purchased a few books and gotten some from Christmas that I hope will be really great. I have
  • The Book of the Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi
  • The Book of Family Traditions by Yagyu Munenori
  • The Art of War by Sun Tzu
  • The World is Flat by Thomas Friedman
  • The Art of Seduction by Robert Greene
These are all meant to help with business, The first 3 are more about battle, and business at a higher level. The world is flat is the new bible in business it seems. Every class talks about this book sometimes. The Art of Seduction is supposed to help with sales, however, I don't think I'll read this in public, that could look kind of embarrassing. I'll go ahead and stay in my room when I read that one.

I got thinking about the role of these books. I have read a few books based on business in the past couple years, and they really are much better than any classes I've taken (with the exception of my International and Comparative Dimensions of Business class). Why do people choose not to read these books. There is a definite edge in the business world based on knowledge. When someone knows more about the business world and can react faster, there is undoubtedly an edge, and I don't think anyone would doubt that.

"It's not what you know, it's who you know!"

That could not possibly be true, it is important to have connections, but unless you're just going to work a nothing job for a relative, your connections can only get you in the door. Please don't get me wrong, connections in business are important, because you DO need to get in the door, but that's as far as they will go. Without the ability to impress an interviewer, and the knowledge to excel at your particular job, you will not last long. Just remember, you do need to know something about business, and economics, and psychology, and how to work with people, and many other things. Your dad's a CEO? Well you better know something about that business to get a job with him, because if you don't, a good CEO will fire you without hesitation.

I get so sick of people relying only on their connections in business for jobs. No one cares if you know more executives than they do, you can only get an interview with your connections, so go to class, stop wasting your opportunities in life. If you're in school studying business, YOU'VE DONE SOMETHING RIGHT! Don't let the seat in your class go to waste. That fact goes for everyone really.

Anyway, that's enough of a rant.

I watched the Detroit Auto show today, quick review: My award for coolest car goes to the Audi R8 (look it up)

No comments: