Saturday, August 16, 2008

College Preparation #4: Save Money on the Move

I am back from England, and preparing to head off to school. I can finally start updating again, but here's the first post, and I hope you enjoy it.

Ok, so if you are making a significant move to school (requiring a flight) there are some ways to save money. The first time you move in you will likely have to drive, which can be a pain if you have a long drive (like, say, Texas to Michigan, like I did) but that is just one time to get all your stuff there. If you do not bring much stuff at all, you can still fly in, although it'll cost plenty of money. Have someone drive with you to school, so they can take the car back (unless of course you will be keeping your car)

If you ARE keeping your car, a lot of this doesn't make much sense, this is for the person who is not taking/keeping a car at school. After the initial move however, you should never have to drive it again. I fly to and from school each year. You'll need to find a place near school where you can store your stuff. I know there is one place near Michigan State where you can store your stuff, and what's nice is that they will even pick up and drop off your stuff for you. I personally keep my stuff at my Grandma/Uncle's house when I'm not at school. Your best bet if you don't have family is to become friends with someone who will live in a house over the summer, so you can just store your stuff at their place.

Ok, so your big stuff (TV, fridge, microwave, etc.) can be stored in those places, but all your other stuff that you want to come home with you will need to make it to your house. If you don't have enough room in your bags for the plane, there is another option. If you have some stuff that is light, but takes up lots of space (ex: light clothes, laundry bag) you can simply ship it to yourself. It takes up space, but since it is light, it won't cost too much. Stuff that takes up a reasonable amount of space and a reasonable weight, can go in your checked baggage. If you have anything that is very heavy and does not take up much space (ex: books, computer) can go into your carry-on bag.

Other space saving tips:

1. Keep your DVDs in a DVD/CD wallet. I have 2 64 capacity wallets for all of my movies and any TV shows that I want that I have on DVD. I see people who take all their movies to school in the boxes, and I can't believe it. When you get your own place and it would look nice to have them in the boxes, do it, but when you're traveling to and from school, and living in tight quarters, put them in a wallet.

2. Space bags DO work. Ok, so the space bag things do work if you need them, although they need to be used with the right clothes. You can get some that don't require a vacuum too. If you put T-Shirts or shorts in there, they won't decrease in size much, but if you put in bulky sweaters or coats or something, you can really increase the density of your bag, which means you can pack more into it.

3. Use both of your carry-ons. Some people actually still don't know this, but you get 2 carry-on items. You get a carry-on, and a "personal item". Most college students take a backpack as a carry-on, but that is a "personal item" so they could actually take another small bag. I always take my backpack and suitbag as my carry-ons.

4. Make sure you don't ship anything too important. If there is something important to you, do NOT ship it, that is a recipe for disaster. I had a box lost coming home from school once, and if I had put something important in there, I would have cried. Make sure the REALLY important stuff to you goes in your carry-on, so you don't lose it for sure.

5. Make sure you can carry all of your stuff. If you will be traveling to another airport, then have to take the bus or walk to your destination, make sure you can carry all of your bags by yourself. You might have help checking in your bags from a friend/family, but when you get to your destination, it's all you.

No comments: