Sunday, June 14, 2009

Drinking Alcohol!!!

Well, I turn 21 on Wednesday. I plan on going out with some co-workers and getting a couple of drinks. This will be the third time I've turned the legal drinking age in the jurisdiction I was in at the time. It happened in Italy and Austria as well. I am excited to legally be able to purchase some good beers, it will be great. I hope they carry Dogfish Head around here, I am excited to try their famous IPA!

I will gleefully be drinking over the next few weeks, but I'll be doing it responsibly. By responsibly, I do NOT mean that I will not be getting drunk, but I KNOW my limits, so I know I will not be getting to a dangerous level. I will be friends I know and trust, and I will ALWAYS have a Designated Driver (seriously, it sounds like a record on repeat, but seriously, why would you decide NOT to have a DD?)

I know everyone has heard the spiel about responsible drinking, but have you heard this one? You should NOT mix energy drinks and alcohol. Some people have, and yet, they still continue to drink their jagerbombs. I don't understand it. Basically, you're putting an upper, and a downer in your body at the same time; this is dangerous, and puts a MAJOR strain on your heart. You can find a basic informational article here: Dangers of College Red bull Cocktail Creations.

For a collegiate article, check this article from the State University of New York (chosen for readability, and credibility. There are more out there from Brown, Vanderbilt, etc.). Mixing Alcohol & Energy Drinks May Spell Disaster


I am NOT saying people should not drink alcohol, and though it's bad for you, I'm sure people will continue to drink their Jagerbombs, or Red bull and Vodkas, or whatever energy drink mixture you want, but those who down 4-5 in one sitting, should SLOW DOWN. I have a friend who likes to drink them to energize himself. I'd say, slow down, and take a bit of the strain off your heart.



To another topic. I am considering, once I turn 21 of course, developing a series of "college cocktails" videos. I will take cocktails--both famous and my own creations--and turning them into college level cocktails. College cocktails have taken the form of cheap, crappy vodka, covered up as well as possible. What happened to cheap Gin, cheap Whiskey, cheap Tequila??? Tequila doesn't have to be shots, rum doesn't have to be mixed with Coke, Gin isn't just for martinis, Whiskey is DELICIOUS. These other alcohols have character: Vodka aspires to be water, these other liquors are their own thing!

Anyway, I will go more into detail in the series. Let me know if you have any suggestions, or questions about this!

No comments: